Hanging Herb Garden Ideas For Small Spaces
Whether you have a massive yard space or live in a space with a small Juliet balcony, everyone can find a space to grow at least a few herbs at home. Fresh herbs in cooking add great flavor and can quickly improve the taste of food.
Many people use herbs not only for culinary reasons, but also to support their health. So it’s no wonder hanging herb gardens are a favorite among people of all ages.
How to Get Started Making A Hanging Herb Garden
Whether it’s a hanging basket herb garden or a few potted plants, a DIY hanging herb garden is pretty straightforward to build, no matter what your skill level.
If you want to grow herbs on a balcony, patio, planter box, or in a large garden, these space-saving ideas for a hanging herb garden will inspire you to get started on your personal plantings of tasty goodness.
The Benefits of Vertical Hanging Gardens
First, let’s talk about why you might want to consider adding a hanging herb garden to your outdoor or indoor area.
- Space Saving. Of course, the number one reason is that a vertical grouping of plants will fit even in the tiniest of spaces. Plus, growing plants in vertical container gardens allow you to grow more variety in a smaller area.
- Use Non-Traditional Spaces. One of the biggest advantages of vertical gardening is that you can make use of spaces where you otherwise couldn’t grow anything, like on walls and fences.
- Easy To Maintain. Using vertical containers also makes maintenance easier, since problems like weeds and ground-dwelling pests don’t exist.
- Convenient to Harvest. A benefit of a hanging herb garden that many people don’t think about is that vertical structures bring your crops up to eye level, making them much easier to gather and use the herbs. After all, if you grow herbs, but don’t use them, what’s the point?
How to Build Your Own Hanging Herb Garden
Now that you’ve decided a space-saving hanging garden would make a great addition to your home, it’s time to choose what type of design would work best.
There are many vertical herb garden ideas to consider. No matter what design you choose, these basic steps will show you how to make a fun and useful hanging herb garden.
- Step 1 is to choose the type of container or pot that you will use. It can be anything that fits your style including bottles, an old kitchen colander, mason jars, a bucket, or anything else.
- Step 2 is to locate where you’ll be hanging this innovative planter. Will you have a hanging herb garden for your balcony? Or do you prefer a hanging herb garden on a fence?
- Step 3 requires a decision on how you want to secure it so it hangs properly. You can use poles, chains, ropes, or standard outdoor hooks.
- Step 4 is the fun part of planting your herbs. Fill each hanging container with potting mix. Next, plant the herbs that you want to have available. Remember to choose herbs that will flourish in the environment you live. For example, Rosemary and Thyme thrive in a hot and dry environment, and they add fabulous flavor to meal preparation.
Get Creative with Your Hanging Herb Garden
If you are not the most handy person, don’t worry! You can still grow herbs in your space! Try these simple ideas for creating a vertical herb garden outdoors.
- Fabric Vertical Garden. Have you seen those hanging pocket organizers used for shoe storage? Well, now you can use them to grow plants.
This DIY project doesn’t require any woodworking skills. You simply hang the fabric organizer, put soil and the herbs in the pockets, and grow your plants. Just be sure there is a way for the water to drain.
- Wooden Pallet Vertical Garden. Putting together a rustic hanging herb garden for the outdoors is so much easier than you would imagine.
Get your hands on a pallet (stores that receive or deliver large goods may have extra pallets for free). Prep the pallet by sanding any rough edges. Next, find the best area on the side of your fence or house and securely hang the pallet.
Keep this project simple by purchasing herbs already in small pots. Place the containers of herbs so they sit inside the pallet. It’s that fast and easy!
Take time to add a little punch of color to the pallet with some hand art. You can even have your kids help decorate and personalize your hanging herb garden pallet to make it extra special.
Before you know it, you'll have your very own hanging herb garden that is a space saver and provides yummy seasoning for your kitchen creations.
- Quick Hanging Herb Garden. There are many (many) more versions of do-it-yourself vertical herb gardens for indoors or out. But if you really want to get started ASAP, you can find pre-made hanging options for purchase.
As you might guess, hanging herb gardens from Amazon offer multiple vertical herb garden kits. And big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s also sell garden planters for a balcony or other small spaces.
Use these fun and innovative concepts to bring greenery and herbs into your outdoor areas without taking up valuable space.
Best Tip When You Have More Space for a Garden
If you are one of the lucky homeowners who have a backyard that can fit planters as well as hanging gardens, you may want to consider adding raised planter beds for your herbs and other foliage.
But it can be a little tricky to know the best location to place planter boxes in your garden space so that your edible plants, flowers, and bushes grow lush and beautiful.
That’s when you want to turn to ShrubHub.com.
Superior Outdoor Design and Service
ShrubHub is a complete online yard transformation service unlike anything else on the market today. The expert landscapers at ShrubHub will take the time to learn about your ultimate outdoor space and provide you with a design that will meet, and exceed, your vision.
ShrubHub’s team are experts in knowing what plants will thrive in your climate and add beauty to your yard. They create outdoor designs personalized to your lifestyle.
The best thing about ShrubHub is that they are your one-stop source for creative designers, fast and friendly contractors, and hardworking installation teams. They offer an all-in-one hassle-free package for an unbelievably affordable price. And of course, they can supply customized vertical herb garden plans.
Get started today and contact ShrubHub to achieve an outdoor space that’s beautiful, functional, and perfect for your home and family.